Food and Water inside coop @ Night ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1TurkenLover, Aug 15, 2013.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    We put a Water feeder inside the Pullets Coop { Roosts } @ night.

Anyone else do this ? I've never found any information on this.

[​IMG]

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    My feeder stays in the coop all the time, to keep it dry. Water is out side, nipples.. At night they are sleeping and do not need either.

Only other factor is how long they are in before they are let out to have access to water if it is outside the coop.

Mine is solved by having a auto door.

3. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    We bring the Feeders in @ night to refill, also helps to keep the predators away.
    there medicated water is put in fridge overnight. we've been putting in a chick water in coop just in case the smaller ones need it.

we have a 2 gal hanging bucket I've put 4 chicken nipples on.it works great for regular water.
    will not drink from them with Medicated water [​IMG]

4. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    I keep the food inside because of the rodents and the weather I don't put the water inside because the litter might get into water and pollute it.

5. 1TurkenLover

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    We started with Hay in coop ...... Found out I'm allergic to it.
    Now we use AP sand and use a kitty scoop daily.

[​IMG]

6. Chick-N-Eggs

Chick-N-Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    S W Florida
    Hi we have two separate coops in one enclosed area I have a hanging waterer in each coop and another waterer that sits in the common area for them all as for the feeders I too have two separate ones that hang in each coop before I close them up for the evening I fill both food feeders and also make sure there is plenty of water I do use hay for the bottom and I use like horse shavings for their nesting boxes it is very easy clean up I also leave a tray of oyster shell in each of the coops this way they take what they want and need.

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

In the main hen house, I keep the feeder and the waterer, all the time. There they are protected from the weather, whether it is rain, snow, or excessive heat. The hen house chicken door is always open, unless there is a special reason to keep them in, like a massive blizzard, etc. My whole run is wood fence, local predators can't get in.
    In my smaller brooder and breeder pens, they aren't big enough to keep the water and food inside, so they are outside, but under the house, in the shade out of any rain. The only exception to this is when the chicks are very young. In that case I put the small chick feeders and wateres inside with them at all time. The door to the brooder stays closed until they are big enough to go in and out by themselves.
    Keep it simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by