Food and water placement?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Caymanbaby29, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Caymanbaby29

Caymanbaby29 Hatching

Feb 28, 2015
    Hi. Never had chickens before and am planning one. I have an existing barn that I plan to put a raised coop with a small run inside the building and a small door to a run outside. My question is this - our winters get very cold. Is it better to put the heated waterer under the raised coop or inside? Food too? Does this cause moisture problems? Rookie questions.

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Crowing

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Put it where it's most accessible to you for filling and cleaning, they'll use it where ever. if you're already putting the whole thing inside the barn, I wouldn't think it would really matter where you put the feed and water. I'd guess the 'coop' part is going to mostly be used by them for roosting at night anyway, something to think about.

oh, and when you get it built, please post up some pics in the coop section!

3. Caymanbaby29

Caymanbaby29 Hatching

Feb 28, 2015
    I research everything to death so it may take me a while. Lol. The run will be built into my existing horse pasture. I've read it's great for bombproofing the horses (quick movements flapping etc) and I have one mare who chases coyotes. Built in predator protection. She only wants to play but they don't know that. Lol
    I may post a plan here for approval! I am most concerned about making it winterized. And you're right there won't be any snow inside the barn but it will still be cold. It's not a heated barn. I'm in northern saskatchewan after all. Would they ever go outside in the winter or would it be in the barn for the season? Supplementary light for eggs? There is power and water in the barn, hence the location choice.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you're going to use an open waterer, in your situation it's best to leave it outside the coop but in the barn to reduce the humidity where they sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: