Food and water

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wilhiteranch, Jun 17, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    Do the girls need food and water inside the coop or just the run. All they do is sleep at night, right?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    they can be kept outside, but sometimes keeping the food in the run can attract pesky wild birds etc depending on how the run is set up.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are pros and cons both ways. Yes, they just sleep at night, but they also get up early -- and hungry and thirsty. Feed left out at night in the coop can attract rats and mice -- or other predators. You'll find a balance that works for you.

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:X 2

If you have automatic door or are an early riser, helps if you don't want to have food in the coop.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X 2

If you have automatic door or are an early riser, helps if you don't want to have food in the coop.

If you have a secure run, no pop door is needed and the feed & water can be anywhere

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I only have 3 chickens, so keep that in mind, but I keep everything outdoors in the run. I put out enough food for them to finish all but a TINY bit of it--I take that up when the chickens have gone to bed for the evening. In the wintertime I remove the hanging water thingy, dump it, and take it in the house to refill for the a.m. -- where I live it usually doesn't freeze during the day but WILL at night.

So my girls have nothing to eat or drink in their house overnight but so far I have never come out in the a.m. to find them down from the roosts yet. I.e., I get up earlier than they do! I put the food out in the run (and water if it's winter--otherwise it stays out all the time) and open their pop door, but it's usually 30-60 min. b/f they are down and out in the run.

My run IS covered and very secure, as well.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I keep them in both places. If you're an early riser, there really shouldn't be a need to keep them inside. But if you're not out there early, then you might want to. If your run is not covered, then leaving food out in the run (all night) might attract possums or raccoons... Also, in winter time it's nice to keep water inside just to help keep it from freezing so soon (if you're in a cold winter area).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by