Food and Water

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rich Marshall, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Do chickens need access to both food and water 24/7? Do I need food and water in the chicken house for night and both in the run for the day?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    They only need access during waking hours. They do not get up in the middle of the night to drink. Once they're roosted for the night, that's it until morning.

Welcome to BYC!

3. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    So when I put them in before sunset they are good for the night? and I assume if I can going to keep them locked in for the day due to weather give them food and water inside?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes they are good for the night. [​IMG]

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They should have food and water access during the daytime - not needed at night once they're beyond the early chick weeks. Unless you were having a blizzard or other severe weather, there's probably no need to even keep them inside during the day. Most folks, even in really cold climates, open their pop doors to give the chickens an option to brave the weather or not. But if you ever did keep them in, then yes, they certainly would need water and food inside with them.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome!! [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Welcome! I agree with above poster about leaving the pop door open in all kinds of weather. Mine will go out if they are in the mood whatever the weather. If it is harsh weather they stay in but I always give them the option. My birds are pretty hardy. They always have water no matter what as they usually get up before I get out there to open the pop door in the mornings. They are secured for the night inside but I try not to leave too much food available over night due to not wanting to feed the rodents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by