Food and Water

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Do chickens need access to both food and water 24/7? Do I need food and water in the chicken house for night and both in the run for the day?

They only need access during waking hours. They do not get up in the middle of the night to drink. Once they're roosted for the night, that's it until morning.

Welcome to BYC!

So when I put them in before sunset they are good for the night? and I assume if I can going to keep them locked in for the day due to weather give them food and water inside?

yes they are good for the night.
thumbsup.gif

They should have food and water access during the daytime - not needed at night once they're beyond the early chick weeks. Unless you were having a blizzard or other severe weather, there's probably no need to even keep them inside during the day. Most folks, even in really cold climates, open their pop doors to give the chickens an option to brave the weather or not. But if you ever did keep them in, then yes, they certainly would need water and food inside with them.

Welcome! I agree with above poster about leaving the pop door open in all kinds of weather. Mine will go out if they are in the mood whatever the weather. If it is harsh weather they stay in but I always give them the option. My birds are pretty hardy. They always have water no matter what as they usually get up before I get out there to open the pop door in the mornings. They are secured for the night inside but I try not to leave too much food available over night due to not wanting to feed the rodents.

Back
Top Bottom