Food and water

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AmyMurphy, Mar 21, 2015.

1. AmyMurphy

AmyMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Bartonville TX
    Am I supposed to put a food container and water container in both inside the coop AND the outside run area of coop? hoping to not have to put up and maintain 4 containers.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some do ...but not all.
    I keep mine in the coop.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not at all. One set is fine. I like water outside so if it leaks or makes a mess, the coop stays dry. I like the feed inside to keep it dry and reduce the freeloading wild birds all day buffet.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I only keep feed and water outside of the coop. Hanging under the coop (which is on stilts) to keep feed dry to be more specific. With winters they way they are in my area I don't need added moisture in the coop.

My birds are let out of coop every morning by 7 am.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2 on what the other members said. I keep my waterer outside to avoid wet bedding, and the feed inside to keep it dry.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I keep mine in the coop because it's easier for me.
    Nipple water doesn't evaporate, vinyl on floor in case of spill.
    Food stays dry and no freeloaders.

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I keep dry food in a feeder available 24/7 inside the coop. I don't want it outside the coop as I don't want to attract other birds and I notice a huge increase in wild birds when food is outside. I keep water both inside and outside the coop. The water inside has a cookie tin heater so it won't freeze. I've not had any problem with the inside water getting spilled, mold, etc. On rainy or snowy days they don't have to leave the coop if they don't want as they have both food and water available to them. We don't have to rush in the morning to open the coop up, either, as they have everything they need inside it.

If I feed anything outside, I only give enough for them to consume quickly and not sit in the run. I live near a lake and - with the concerns about Avian Flu being transmitted by waterfowl - I am trying to make sure I don't attract wild birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by