food at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, May 16, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    so chickens need food and water at night in their coop or only in the run area during the day?

I would assume they need food and water all the time 24/7 but someone in a different thread posted that they don't eat or drink in the dark at night...???

Please tell me more on this...

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don`t see well in the dark. The only reason they would leave their roost is if something scarred them.......Pop

3. millerwb

millerwb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Bryan, TX
    I leave food and water 24/7 for my babies. I also have a brooder light on 24/7 so there is light available and they never know night until they move out to the coop.

4. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm talking about in the coop....outside, when they free range or are in the run and have food access all day..then they go in at night (on their own) should their be food / water in the coop with them...or is it OK to just have it in the run only?

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't go out at daybreak to let them out, and they wake up hungry, so I keep it available 24/7. They seem to do a fair amount of eating and drinking during the first hour or two of daylight.

6. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    My chicks are 5 weeks old and they have been in their coop and run for about 4 days now. I live in Southern California it has been in the high 80's to 90's during the day and down to about 50 at night. I have food and water in the coop and down in the run , I also have a 60 watt red bulb that I turn on at night when they go in for the evening. They like to go out for a little bit in the morning , but seem to enjoy coming up and getting warm and eating and drinking inside the coop. Once it warms up they go down and spend the rest of the day in the run. I have found that they are way more active at night with the red light on , they alternate between sleeping and eating and drinking during the night.

7. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I keep food in the coop at all times and fresh water in the run at all times. They have access to the coop and run at all times.

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:This is VERY HELPFUL...sounds very similar to our temps (in Solvang, CA) and my chicks are about a week behind yours and we are hoping to send them out to the coop/run by this week sometime...(next weekend at the latest) they are almost hitting their heads on the wire lid of the brooder! LOL [​IMG]

9. wefroggy

wefroggy Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep food in the coop overnight. It helps to get them into the coop at night when they would rather stay out. Even though they have food outside they go crazy when I take the feeder inside, like they hadn't seen food all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by