1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food Bowl Full of Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgaepi, Dec 11, 2011.

1. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    My four-day old chicks seem to love to fill their food dish (the steel type with 8 small holes) with their pine shavings. I give them fresh food every morning and within an hour or so they have filled their holes up with pine shavings. I don't think they are starving so I assume they are pecking their food out. Any ideas?

The waterer seems to get filled with shavings as well but I perpetually keep cleaning it. I don't mind wasting water but I don't want to keep dumping their food and refilling it.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I raise both my feeder and waterer on bricks in the brooder...helps keep shavings and poo out [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Consider using rabbit water bottles. Maybe place some red tape around the end near the ball to help attract them. Mine took to the water nipples when only days old. No dirty water. Food bowl will need to be elevated.

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:X2 -

5. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Ours did that too! We ended up suspending our feeders and watereres from the rafters, just high enough to keep them from being shaving target practice. I would love for ours to use rabbit waterers, but they just wont take to it, so if that's a possibility with yours, I'd go for it I think it makes things a lot neater!

6. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    If you want to keep the feeder low, try a piece of plywood slightly larger than the feeder under the feeder.

7. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    So I propped up the food and water. Seems to help a little. Anyway to stop them from digging? One is so quick and powerful at it that it launches shavings out the top of the brooder.

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    [​IMG] nope, not really...chickens will be chickens [​IMG]

9. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    They still kick stuff up into the water and feed, but a 2X6 square really does help. Once my chicks move from brooder box to brooder house (about 2 weeks of age) I place the water up on a platform that they jump up on to drink. This is the only way to keep the water clean that I have found. [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Me too. I have a cinderblock platform for my feeder and waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by