Food change danger?

Sookie2020

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
I just lost one of my Sultans. I have a Silkie that was a little sick, as well. I changed my chicken feed a few days ago. A couple of days after, a few in my flock started getting air in their crop. Could this be the reason? I'm still relatively new to raising chickens, so any advice would be appreciated.

Go smell the feed. Describe the smell. Is it pleasant and fresh smelling or does it have an unpleasant dank odor? What brand is the feed? What are the ingredients?

It may just be coincidence that this occurred just as you changed feed. Have your chickens been getting any kitchen scraps or leftovers that were too spoiled that your family couldn't eat them? Do you have a compost pile where you toss spoiled food where the chickens like to hang out?

Go smell the feed. Describe the smell. Is it pleasant and fresh smelling or does it have an unpleasant dank odor? What brand is the feed? What are the ingredients?

It may just be coincidence that this occurred just as you changed feed. Have your chickens been getting any kitchen scraps or leftovers that were too spoiled that your family couldn't eat them? Do you have a compost pile where you toss spoiled food where the chickens like to hang out?
I never give them leftovers, and they are not free-rangers (because of neighbors pitts). As soon as I get home, I will check the feed. For now, I'm giving them chick starter. Also, they use a water bottle hanging on the side of the cage. I haven't had any previous problems with this (haven't lost any chickens until now), but could this be the problem?

Back
Top Bottom