Food Chemical Codex grade DE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by grizz78, Apr 6, 2009.

1. grizz78

grizz78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    I am a newbie looking for advice. I know you are not supposed to raise chickens and turkeys near each other but I am going to attempt it. There has not been any poultry on my farm for many years. My wife does have horses. From what I have been reading on here is that "Black Head" is what I need to be careful of. I have been reading the Food Chemical Codex Grade DE is the way to go. It is hard to find. I stopped at a local pool store and they had Celaton Diatomite EP minerals.ISO 9002 Certified. Is this the same as "Food Grade"? I have searched and can't get a difinative answer. I do have my local Farmers CO-OP looking for it as well. Any help would be appreciated.

2. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I don't think this is what you want? Food grade you may have to order it. I'm kinda in your spot, where to get it? I'm thinking google food grade DE. I guess! I am still deciding and wonder if any one in the deep south uses it. We are such a wet place. I have seen some where in here that someone did a pro and con of its use. Maybe someone will post where. I notice alot of posters are from the way north. We were having 80 degrees yesterday now we are down to the 60's. I forget some people are still freezing I will search for the thread.[​IMG] Also I think your turkeys and chickens will do fine. Sometimes people use chicks to teach the turkeys while they are young. Turkeys not to smart as babies.[​IMG]

3. grizz78

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    I should be hearing back from the CO-OP soon to see if they can get it. If not I will order some online. I see there is a post I have been watching about it and who uses it.
    Thanks

4. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    I just ordered some from Shadow Ridge Donkeys...They have an online site..

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

7. grizz78

Apr 6, 2009
    Tiffin
    With horses, dogs, cats and now chickens and turkeys I can't see it hurting to use it.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use it for bug control because I do not want poisons around my birds. Works well.

9. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:The DE found in pool stores is a lower quality DE that has clay among other things mixed with it and is not the stuff you want!

10. ChickenGirl75

ChickenGirl75 New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Tractor supply carries red lake diatomaceous earth, that is what I use for my chickens. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by