1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food coloring in the water

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L&Schickens, Aug 25, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a very hard time seeing the water level and where the water goes in my incubator due to the turner. So I add some red, blue or green food coloring to the water so I can tell where the water is going. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    hmmmm, interesting !!!!!!

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    You know i was thinking about this the other day cuz i always have a hard time seeing the water level... i want to no to if this is ok to do [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

My question would be, would the food coloring be able to seep through the eggshell?

May sound like a stupid question, but because the water evaporates in the bater and seeps through the shell as moisture, would the food coloring do the same thing.

Or are the color pigments considered a solid are are left behind when the liquid is completely gone?

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I've never used an incubator, but I would think that the food coloring might stain the water level area and eventually be illegible.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I didn't think that water vapor can carry introduced substances with it. Distilled water is just that - vaporized water that has condensed and no longer has any minerals or other substances with it.

If you're really worried about the dye, though, why not float something on the surface, like a packing peanut (the styrofoam kind, not the peeping kind)?

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That would interfer with your surface area and change your humidity levels. There was a thread before on this but, I don't remember what was decided.

8. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have not had any chicks come out green, red or blue yet, so I guess it is ok.[​IMG]

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The food coloring is a wonderful idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by