Food coloring...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sparkles2307, Jul 21, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Can I put food coloring on the shell of the eggs that Beatrice is setting on? The other hens have been laying in her nest box and I want to be able to tell which eggs to take out. Will food coloring work? Pencil rubs off, and I dont really want to have mutant chicks from using a sharpie marker on them...

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I was using a reg pen to mark mine so far it hasnt rubbed off.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I dont' think the sharpie will hurt anything. Lots of people use sharpies to mark their eggs.

4. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I don't think food coloring will hurt your eggs. One way people label their chicks is by injecting food coloring into the egg before the chick is hatched. Labeling chicks with food coloring.

5. sparkles2307

LOL well my parents always said if we drew on ourselves with sharpies it'd give us cancer so I was erring on the side of caution with that one.

6. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:I wouldn't worry about that too much. I doubt chickens live long enough to get cancer from sharpie exposure... even if you could get cancer from sharpie exposure.

7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    LOL my parents said something like that , only they said if you write on your self you will die cause it will get in your blood and travel to your heart then poof your dead. It was just their way to stop us from doing it.

I have seen loads of people on here use ink pens on their eggs and the chicks turn out just fine. I am knew though what do I know lol

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I always use finger paint.

9. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I mark mine with sharpie and just had a chick pop out yesterday, all healthy.

10. sparkles2307

Quote:Not even a 3rd eye!?! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by