Food Coloring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KC n KY, Dec 28, 2010.

1. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    I have a bit of an issue. I would like to hatch out some pure blood BLRW from my flock. However, I only have a trio of BLR's and they run with nine other sex-links. I do not want mutt babies but I am not sure how to distinguish which bird laid what egg. I think I read somewere on a thread that u could put food coloring around a hens vent area, so that a hens egg would be a certain color.

My questions-

Would food coloring on an egg affect the hatchability of an egg?

How do u distinguish what hen laid what egg?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

Edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Food coloring is supposed to be harmless, and I have also read of people doing this. I suppose it's worth a try.

Food coloring is used to dye those pastel Easter chicks, and they seem to grow up to be healthy roos with normal coloring, so why not? I believe they even inject it into the egg.

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I've been doing this for about 2 years. It doesn't affect the hatch rate of the eggs, etc. I put about 10 drops or so in each hens vent. The coloring lasts about 5-7 days. The eggs don't come out dyed, but streaked with the coloring.

5. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Sundown, how easy does it wash off the bottome of white or light colored silkies for show prep?

6. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    Thanx for all the help!!!! You guys are life savers. I think I am now going to go drop 'bout 8-10 drops in my hens vents!! [​IMG] Thank u all so much [​IMG]

7. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Wow great idea,

I never thought of that...hmmmmm I think I'm going to try this. Thanks a lot.

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by