Food Dehydrater as an incubator

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
Saw someone posting something about recipies for their food dehydrater and I have one that I rarely use. So anyway, I thinking... What do you think are the possibilities of using it as a moving air incubator?

I dont know. I would think with all the ventialtion and its supposed to take away the juices inside the meat and get rid of the humidity. Thats how mine is. What type of dehydrator you got?

What sort do you have? The one that I had didn't get very warm. Also, wouldn't it dry out the eggs? Are you thinking of modifying it? If you do, I would be very interested in the results. I see food dehydrators at good will all the time.

Yes, I was trying to think of a way to modify it. I already use the top as a cover for a homemade, converted styro ice chest. It has the little vent in the top that can be easily adjusted for ventilation and it's clear so I can see through. I haven't had much luck hatching and I don't know if it's just the fact that I have only ever gotten shipped eggs or what. I have a basic still air hovabator that I bought on ebay (new) for about $50.00. Then I made two others out of styrofoam ice chests, the one above and another with a pane of glass for the lid. Suspended heat lamps and light bulbs over head for heat source.

All it says on the side is AR O MA. I got it at a second hand store about 8 years ago for $5 bucks. It looks like most of the other dehydrators I've seen: Round, about 12" diameter, several stacking trays ...

I was thinking, if I could make a wire base frame that is raised about 2 inches (so I could place a shallow pan of water under it) then make some sort of side wall out of cardboard, like you see being sold by hatcheries for brooder kits. Only it would have to be insulated somehow. Maybe with something like the Pizza delivery guys use.

Questions:
1: how to install a thermostadt?
2: would it heat up enough?

Maybe a rounded styro wall and cardboard over it to insulate it and keep the chicks from picking at it. It will be hard to add a fan to the base to make it forced air. It has holes on the bottom right to bring air up? Maybe a small cake cooling rack to hold a metal water dish? I will try to think up of other things to hold the water dish. Maybe a few sponges soaked in warm water and put it on the bottom tray? I will also think of a way to install the thermostadt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom