Food/Feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JNDPLUS3, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JNDPLUS3

JNDPLUS3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Middleburg Fla.
    Well just a question tor the masses. What can you / I feed quail instead of Purina type processed food crumbles. Not looking to feed more than 50 adults at any given time Looking at non store bought food items. Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can make your own feed, but you have to be very careful and add good supplements. It is very important that they get the proper nutrients to stay alive and keep laying.

You can use a good seed/grain base and add field peas, fish meal or even soy to get the protein up. You would need to add something like Calf Manna, Ultra Kibble or an egg food supplement for extra protein, amino acids, omega's, vitamins and minerals, etc...

You could then add veggies, fruits and nuts to the diet for other trace minerals. It will cost you more to make your own feed however. And you would probably want to use a grain mill to grind it all down so that each bite becomes 100% of your mix. You don't want the birds to pick thru the feed and only eat certain grains or seeds.

3. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. livelifebyluck

livelifebyluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have a food related question I have Coturnix eggs in the incubator and finding game bird feed around me that has high enough protein is hard. I had my local feed store order me a 50lb of game bired starter at 28%. I'm just worried I won't go through all of that before they are old enough and thats the only size they had.

Can I feed this high of protein even after they hit sexual maturity at 6-8 weeks?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

How many eggs do you have incubating? They will waste as much as they eat so keep that in mind. Plus you can feed them that for the first 6-8 weeks. At thast point you want to lower the protein down between 20-25%, unless you are butchering them and then you can feed them the starter until freezer day as long as its not medicated.

7. livelifebyluck

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have 56 eggs[​IMG]in there now but who knows how many will hatch out.
    Good point on the wasting aspect
    And yes it will be unmedicated feed

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you get 50% or more of those chicks and feed them until freezer time you may even need another bag depending on how much food they are able to scratch out of the feeder and waste. Plus the little buggers foul a lot of food with indiscriminate pooping.

9. livelifebyluck

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    OK good to know because it was one of those moments where I was like cool order it then later I was like oo crap 50lbs is a lot!

Thanks for the help

10. JNDPLUS3

JNDPLUS3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Middleburg Fla.
    Hey I feed my birds 30% all the time period Purina Startena, your birds will lovethe high protien, and they grow a little quicker. I also give them meal worms about 5 days a month for a treat. (Not live) No worries

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by