food feeders

redstar

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 6, 2007
central new york
Now my 2 hens(redstars) keep some how pushes their foodfeeder outside, how they get it down the ramp without spilling, is a mystery to me, but why do they do that? its just small enought for the 2 of them so it is quite light i guess but they move it with out spilling a drop of food after i fill it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi redstar, just out of curiousity, what are you feeding your babies? They are just four months old now right? Energenic little boogers now aren't they? Moving their feeder?? that is just too funny. do you have any pics to post of them?

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I GOT THEM THE BEGINNING OF JUNE,WHEN THEY WERE JUST SO LITTLE N YELLOW,WITH PEEP PEEPS, NOW THEY ARE LIKE THEY WERE NEVER LITTLE, THEY ARE CALLED REDSTARS AND THEY ARE SO PRETTY, I FEED THEM LAYING MASH CRACKED CORN BUT NOT TO MUCH, AND TODAY I STARTED GIVING THEM BREAD WILL THAT HURT THEM, IT WAS ONLY A SLICE FOR THE TWO TO SHARE,THEY LOVE IT. IF ITS OK HOW OFTEN CAN I GIVE THEM BREAD?, NO PICS YET BUT I WILL TAKE SOME AND GET MY DAUGHTER TO POST THEM FOR ME .

Hi, I have three red stars myself and they lay very large, brown eggs that are delicious!
From what I have read on here from those who know...bread should be given in small amounts. I think they say there is no nutritional value in bread. Mine love it too but they get it very seldom. They can have rice, I use brown rice and they love it but everyone's chickens seem to have different tastes just as humans do.
wink.png
Like I said before, use your own good common sense. I am not familiar with "mash" so I will not comment on it. I used chick starter and gradually added layer pellets when they neared the laying stage. Now there are those who don't feed layer feed until they are actually laying but I can tell you...both ways works. Nothing is written in stone. Speckled Hen can give you advice that is top notch!! Enjoy them and don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all learning everyday here. Good luck to you!! Here is a photo of two of my red stars with a light brahma roo and a black australorp hen.
newflock.jpg

how old were they when they first started to lay, my one has a bright red waddle and comb, the other is getting there, they are so fat and yep spoiled too, also why does the one squat down when i come in the coop i pet her and she stands, is she afraid or does she want to be petted? i got mine the middle of june.
D.gif

I got my stars when they were two years old and laying very good. They should lay at least by 21 weeks or so? I am going by "the book". She squats as she is being submissive to you and wants to be picked up and pet. My one tame dominique does that. Sometimes she just runs right to me. My stars lay the largest eggs of my flock so far.

Back
Top Bottom