1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Food for 14 week old hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1chickensbaby, Aug 17, 2018.

1. 1chickensbaby

1chickensbaby In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2018
    Hi there! Can someone recommend a brand preferably orderable on amazon for 14 week olds? I’m guessing I need to switch from the chick crumbles :)

True Patriot and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  2. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    I would pick it up at the store if you can, that way you can check the mill date yourself to get the freshest food possible. I would look for some kind of All Flock.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 7 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree! I buy fresh Flock Raiser at a local TSC for $16.00 or $16.50 per 50 pound bag. It's $50.00 with 'free shipping' at Amazon!!!
    If at all possible, buy locally, with good mill dating on each bag. There's no one choice, it depends on what's actually available where you live.
    Mary

4. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective Premium Member

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    An all flock should be fine. Mine stay on a flock raiser at 20%. Since about half of their daily intake is forage they find while ranging I want to make sure their feed fills any nutritional gaps. Same with the supplements I give. The biggest thing I've found with feeds is only buy what can be consumed in 30 days. Once grains are milled the nutritional value drops rapidly. If they can't eat 50 lbs in a month consider buying smaller quantities. It may cost a bit more, but you'll save in their health in the long run. I get Dumor or Purina, but that's what's available at my store.

KikiLeigh02 and 1chickensbaby like this.
  5. 1chickensbaby

1chickensbaby In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2018
    Thank you! I only have 4 and they eat about a pound a day between all of them, plus veggie treats and worms. I’ll look for that :)

6. Melky

Melky Songster

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    For 14 week olds they really should not need 20% protein. That usually stops about 8 weeks of age. I wouldn’t use flockraiser unless no alternative or have a mixed flock in ages. It is really meant to be for a mixed flock. It is also 20 % protein.

Starter grower or Grower 18% should be what would be age appropriate and what I would use. Hatcheries may also recommend 16% Grower. Layer feed at 16% is usually not started till 16-18 weeks old depending on product from company. I would lean towards the side of later than sooner in this case. This can be crumble or pellets. May have less waste with pellets. Read the label because may start at different ages per product.

As far as brand. There are reviews out and depends if care about organic non-GMO or not. At 14 weeks they should be eating about 1 lb per week per bird to figure consumption.

Here is a link to a food review for 10 best foods for chickens for the price. https://morningchores.com/best-chicken-feed/

That said some who are pro organic think there should be no corn or soy in organic feed and have chosen to make their own or buy scratch and peck brand which is more expensive a brand.

Additionally, I had trouble with weighing cost and availability. I currently use an organic brand non-GMO that I buy from TSC which was more cost effective. It has corn and soy in it as most organic brands do. Thinking about making own in future but weighing cost effectiveness. In this review Highland Naturals was the number 1 brand but not available near me and cost prohibitive to ship to me. I used Purina till now and Natures Best turned out to be cheaper at this juncture. I don’t have much access to grower feed here locally so I am using starter grower which is also acceptable. Hope this helps.

Additionally you need to provide about 1 lb. poultry grit per 40 lbs of feed for adequate grit or offer free choice in separate container.

Occasionally dried mealworms and greens from kitchen or garden are nice treats but limit. Most of diet should be feed mixed with some grit to aid
    digestion.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    We all have our own experiences, my flock does much better on an All Flock feed with 20% protein and Oyster Shell free choice on the side that they did on Layer feed with 16% protein. They lay more consistently, & the egg shells are a nicer/more consis quality. I typically candle them to double check for any cracks before I store them, the shells are less porous and there have been fewer with cracks overall. I will pick fresh over a specific brand every time though.

8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I, too, prefer feeding my flock of mixed ages Flock Raiser. I provide an extra food bowl with oyster shell for my hens to eat as needed. Good luck with your flock!!!! Have Fun!!!!

9. Melky

Melky Songster

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY

Most hatcheries do not recommend oyster shell free choice till 17 weeks so have some time. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: