food for duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by horsejody, Jun 16, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have one duckling. He is a Pekin. Somebody abandoned him at the vet's office. The vet knows I'm a softy so he called me. The previous owner was feeding him dry cat food. I have tried getting him to eat Purina Flackraiser by mixing some dry cat food in. He hasn't been eating much of it. I think he might do better with a pelleted food. The Flockraiser is crumbles. I know in some parts of the country it comes in pellets, but we can't get that here. Is there something better? Where does one buy waterfowl food? I have tried Tractor Supply and 2 Purina dealers with no luck.

2. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    Do you have a local farm supply store? They usually have feed for all types of poultry. The duck food i use is non-medicated duck feed mixed with scratch, grits, and crumbled oyster shells.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have Flockraiser, but he hates it. I was hoping to find something pelleted, but not even Purina offers Flockraiser in pelleted form in this part of the counry. Every thing for younger poultry is powdery crumbles. On the bright side, I guy called me back from the Nutrena dealer. He should find out on Thursday if they can get some Nutrena pelleted waterfowl feed in. Meanwhile, I guess Chester is stuck with the Flockraiser and anything I can get him to eat.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    mine eat non medicaied chicken scratch and i make sure they have lots of water to drink

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Purina dealers can order it for you.
    Call Purina at 1-800-227-8941.

They will be more than happy to help you. I called them several months ago. They were really helpful and told me exactly what I needed and where I could get it. They have even emailed me and called me to follow up to make sure that I had no problems getting what I wanted/needed.

Also, all Purina dealers can order Purina duck foods including the Purina brand and the Mazuri brand.

Good luck.

Laurie

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My eat Multi-Flock game feed pellets and I buy it in 50lb bags at TSC for $15...

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I have to have our local Purina dealer special order the chicken feed. It usually takes 2 week to get in. The closest Purina Mills plant is in Colorado so all the supplies come from there. That mill doesn't do pellets, except for Layena. I think I,m gonna give the Nutrena guy a try. Cargill makes their feed, and Cargill is local. Hopefully, this picky little duck will like the stuff. Right now he seems to have a strong preference for Meow Mix. I worry that he's not getting enough to eat. He won't touch the flock raiser. I put a little dry cat food in it to get him interested, but he just won't eat it. His adopted mother (Creve Coeur hen) showed him some tasty June bugs in the run this morning, but he didn't want those either. The little brat just picked the cat food out of the dish and went for a dip in the water tub.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Unfortunately, our TSC carries no poultry feed in pellets. It's all finely ground crumbles.

9. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Peas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Ooooh! I haven't tried that!! He picked at a little sweet corn, but I will try peas tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: