Food for ducklings you can make?

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
I am hatching Cayugas for the first time and I only have 4 eggs, and I am only keeping one. I bought this starter mash from my local feed barn and they said they didn't know if it was medicated or not, and the other feed store only had medicated. I heard medicated is bad for ducklings especially since I am not raising mine for consumption.

Can I make my own food for it? Like mashed fruits and finely cut veggies, maybe some cottage cheese and oatmeal? I am scared to use the starter mash that "may or may not be" medicated. And I would rather not purchase food from online.

Thanks!
-kiki

I fed mine medicated and they all did just fine.

I read somewhere on this forum that it actually is ok....Mine also like minnows when they are about 4 weeks old and any bug I can find.

Last night I was munching a burrito and my daughter put the duckling next to me and she dove for my food!

If you chop up lettuce and other veggies very very small, they will dabble for it, just watch them and get them warm quickly (we use a gentle blowdry if needed) afterwards.

Quote:
Hmm.. well then i guess I might try the feed I got..
why do I have to get them warm quickly after they eat veggies?

I just saw Nettie posted a GREAT list of foods for ducks and ducklings....I will try to link or email or whatever....look just a few spots below your post under Index, Ducks.

Fabulous!

Ok, title:

The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

by Nettie.

Hopefully this link will get you there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460&p=1

It worked! I tried the link and got there.
ya.gif

Last edited:
I already saw that list and it said "treats" which arent a daily thing. Im trying to come up with a recipe for everyday food.

Grower/Finisher seems to be a good alternative. I've been using this and mixing with water, they're doing well with it
smile.png
I'd be nervous about giving them the medicated feed, even though some people say it's okay. My ducklings were kind of dumped on me so medicated chick starter was all I had to give them at first - then they started with runny noses and all
sad.png
..Switched them to the grower/finisher I had, and they're golden
big_smile.png

haha! I missed your question, why do you have to get them warm after eating veggies....

I must have put that in the wrong place.

When they are dabbling in a pool or whatever (I used a paint tray in the bathtub for the first swim and I used lukewarm water) they have no greasy stuff to keep the water from chilling them. So they are not very good at telling you they are cold, you have to watch them and then dry them off.

I had one that decided her water bowl (very small and shallow) was a good place to climb in...and she was not even a day old. I looked at her on a whim and she was head lollling to the side, in the water. I pulled her out and she was for all intents dead. I rushed to the bathroom and used a blowdryer and my hands to bring her back. She was slow for a day or two, then better. She got named Chilly.

Sadly, I went out of town and my brilliant beau thought that since the grownup ducks love the rain and the pool so much so would Chilly and Ponyo, the two week old ducklings. The water was cold, and it was raining and "they seemed to be enjoying it" every time he checked on them.....until the time he checked on them and they were both dead.

He refuses to put any in water now. typical guy. black and white. sheesh. Anyway, we lost two ducklings to cold water....one we lost kinda twice! I was really upset about Chilly, since I had worked so hard to revive her.

So, what I meant was after they SWIM or play in water, warm them up. It makes no difference if they have veggies!

Back
Top Bottom