Food for hydration

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rolffamily, Jul 21, 2011.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I heard a radio segment on eating for hydration in the heat. The lady suggested fruits and vegetables for the water content. Wouldn't you suppose this would be the same for your chickens? I have been giving them the lettuce out of the garden every morning. It's getting a little bitter in the heat, but they don't seem to mind.

2. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I would think it would be, we have been giving our flock lettuce that is cold from the frig, watermelon, and things that are "wet". Today, our temperatures in VA are suppose to hit 101 with a heat index of 115, so will go water down part of their yard so they have moist dirt to dig in the shade and hopefully they will stay cool that way too! I feel so bad when I go out there and they are panting and holding their wings out.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Cold fruit and veggies definitly will help. My girls are getting frozen grapes, cantelope, and lettuce wich is good b/c lettuce has a high water content.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I've found that cold watermelon seems to help. I live where it is VERY hot. It is like drinking sugar water I suppose. [​IMG]

5. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    Today I just made some treats for keeping my girls hydrated. I used 2 divided plastic containers and put BOSS and scratch in each one then filled each section with water and threw them in the freezer. I can take out one or two sections at a time to give the girls to pick at and get extra water and stay cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by