1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

food for pheasant chicks

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hi I am getting some ringnecks soo and I can't find any turkey/pheasant starter any where. The closest thing I found a 24% starter. I bought that for my chickens. That probably won't work for day old pheasant. Any way what is mash and do I need that? thanks.

2. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    That will work. As they get near feathering out, see if a wildgame grower is available and move them to that.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    So I can use the 24% chicken starter. It says it is suitable for turkeys, quail, and pheasant

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Yes, as both wildgame starter and chick starter are usually medicated with the same medication to prevent early illness. I would think that 24% protein will get them off on a good start. If you are wanting to increase their protein, you could always feed them some mashed up hard boiled egg yolk as well.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My daughter works at a pheasant farm on the VT border. I was shopping in Swanzey NH today and bought her these [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    what pheasant farm is it

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The one in Bernardston Mass. Is that where you get your birds??? She loves working for them.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    no unfortunatley I get mine from a place in shoreham vermont called peaceable hill

9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Why do you say unfortunately?????

10. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Eli have you checked Oliver Seed for game bird feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by