Food for Show Birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thecochincoop, Jan 25, 2009.

1. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the best food to give show birds. I was feeding unmedicated chick starter when I had a mixed age flock and now they are on laying pellets untill I have more chicks. I have heard that they need more protein for their feathers. Is there anything else that they need in particular?

2. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed our a finisher from our local co-op and it put a really nice bloom on them. All the birds we took place in the top rankings 1st or 2nd in their breeds.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I use a game bird breeder feed. Great stuff!! It made a big difference in my cochins.

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we mix wheat and cat food (with fish meal in it) with our chicken feed.

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

last year I was using the finisher and the game bird feed so I guess that will work. I cut them down to layer pellets this winter though untill this bag is gone and then I will probably switch them back. I 50 lb bag lasts about a month and a half so I need to know what to get or I am stuck with it for a while.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I feed 2 different things, Game Bird Starter, they eat that 3 days a week. I cook a mix for them 4 days a week.

2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice
    2 Cups Cooked Oatmeal
    2 Cups greens (Turnip, collard, Spinach etc)
    3 Whiting Filets, thawed & raw
    1 Dozen boiled eggs with shells
    2 Cups Berries (Cranberries, Blueberries etc)

I Cook the rice & add the oatmeal. Once the eggs are boiled I put them shell and all in my food processor and pulse until ground, I then add the fish and greens and mix until combined. I then add this to the rice/oatmeal mix and add the berries.
    I store in bags in approproate portions (1/3 cup each bird per meal)
    Once a month I add vitamins, 2 Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Echinacia

My birds look great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by