Food Frustration - Layer, Flock raiser, omega 3/

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Doc7, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:01 AM.

1. Doc7

Doc7 Chirping

May 12, 2018
    Central Virginia
    Hello all,

I really, really want to feed Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 to my flock. 3 of my 6 x 26 W old hens are laying now and I wanted to switch when all 6 started. I currently am feeding Flock Raiser with Oyster shell on the side.

My concern is the list of exceptions I see on this board for feeding a layer feed:
    - any hen is molting
    - any hen is broody
    - a hen is laying infrequently or inconsistently
    - a hen is molting

With all this to keep track of how can I possibly feed 6 hens all the same Layer feed?

I really wanted to get those bright orange yolks I read in the comments on this feed and the omega 3 benefits purported by the manufacturer.

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Songster

Nov 12, 2017
    West Central Ohio

I've had the same concerns and switched to higher protein grower with oyster shell on side, but we also have seven 13-week-old chicks, 2 cockerels and 12 pullets (40 weeks), so a mixed flock. We always have good color on the yolks, but get more intense color with treats of pumpkins or marigolds. But treats are just treats, so this doesn't make up a large portion of their diet and it varies by what we have - we don't always have pumpkins or marigolds. While buying feed supplies, I have noticed a product that is a supplement for egg layers in their feed. I recall seeing it at Tractor Supply. Here is one item (searched "egg supplement omega" on TSC site), and I am sure there are other types of supplements for Omega and color that other suppliers carry (Rural King, local feed stores, TSC, etc). Good Luck.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 8.46.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 8.46.28 AM.png

3. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    For the reasons you mentioned (plus chicks and roosters), I'm moving away from layer feed. I still have about 1/2 of a bag of layer left, so to dilute the calcium % I am mixing it 1:3 with 20% chick starter/grower (cheaper than Purina All Flock) to help my flock through a heavy molt. The stuff is basically powder, so I add water to turn it into a wet mash, and they love it.

Aceoky likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    When the plants and bugs are available while free ranging, their egg yolk color is darker. I give a small amount of scratch feed in winter, for entertainment, which helps with yolk color then. Flock Raiser with separate oyster shell is their main diet all year, so everyone gets a good diet regardless of egg laying status, age, or sex.
    Mary

Aceoky likes this.
  5. proudmommie31

proudmommie31 Songster

Mar 2, 2016
    Northern Lower MI
    I feed every hen the same diet, Purina layena omega 3. I don’t have roosters currently. I don’t switch up for the things you listed and haven’t ever had a problem doing it that way. To each their own, but older farmers didn’t spend a ton of time switching food for every little thing. (Totally fine for those who choose to raise their flock that way, just not for me) . The eggs are rock hard, nice dark orange yolks and very yummy. I completely recommend it. Oh and the chickens are bright eyed, shiny feathers etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: