1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food getting lost in sand

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Krischick23, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Krischick23

Krischick23 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Hey everyone. I have 5 8 week old chicks that are living in their coop. We are using sand for the floor and really like it. My concern though is that the chickens scrarch their food and spill their food all over in the sand. I know this is normal but it just stays there. They aren't eating all of it and when I scoop out their poop its too small and just goes through the scooper. Will this cause problems and/or health issues? Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might try raising the feeder, getting one with a higher lip, and / or putting something like a square foot piece of plywood under the feeder to catch most of the billed out feed.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My D'Uccles do the same thing. Their run is a mess right now. I have to go in their and clean. I have been just putting straw down.

4. Krischick23

Krischick23 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I'll have to try the box under the food to catch it. But do I need to just get new sand now? I don't see how I can pick out every piece of food.

5. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    They will eat some of it, it won't hurt them. And you pretty much have to resign yourself to losing what they don't eat. Chickens are messy birds, there is not much you can do. Scratching in the dirt is normal behavior for them, they will root around and peck at the food they spill and will eat some of it.
    I have four chicks in the brooder, and they won't eat out of the feeder at all. They manage to knock it over and spill their crumble in the pine bedding, then spend hours scratching and peeping and pecking and eating. They are growing just fine eating off the floor.
    One thing you have to get used to about chickens, is they are going to do what they want, when they want it, how they want it, and it's never what you want or expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by