Food grade de and no-seeums

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by krackerhill, Jul 25, 2008.

1. krackerhill

krackerhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Florida
    To begin with I must say I am addicted to this forum. I have learned sooo many things from the different threads and had a
    few chuckles as well(ya'll crack me up). I researched all I could on food grade de and got great info from many on you. My main reason to purchase was to keep down the flies with with my 5 pekin ducks (5 ducks=lots of poop=lots of flies). I found custom millings to be cheapest(no luck at local feed stores) and they delivered in 2 days UPS from Ga. I live in the central east coast of florida on 2 acres of sand ridge and we have a terrible time with noseeums. After using it in my coops and in the runs I thought I would test it by our 2 steel buidings my dh works out of. I am happy to report that it has cut down the population of these pesky guys drastically and people who normally apply spray when coming "out to the back" of our house have said they were not getting bit up at all.
    Many thanks to all of you I hope this helps
    someone else.

2. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Dadgum! Never thought about the noseeums.
    Also, I ordered from Custom Milling myself. This last time though I found a feed store about an hour away that carried other products from Custom Milling and they ordered the DE for me. Their policy with a special order is cost+freight+$2.00. The DE cost me $22.00 per 50# bag. Maybe you can find a similar situation down your way.

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Did you just sprinkle it around the buildings or what? Is food grade DE okay for other animals like dogs and cats to be around?

The tiny gnats and no-seeums are killing us this year up here in mosquito country!

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yikes, what are no-seeums? Just bugs you don't see?
    DE cuts the fly population?

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Is a no seeum a chigger? Or a gnat/fly? [​IMG]

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hey guys, I just thought maybe you should know that STALL DRY, the stuff you can get from your feed store, is actually DE, edible clay, and a non-toxic all natural scent. I checked on the whole non-toxic thing, I called them and asked them what to do if my kid ingested some. They said not to worry and that I don't have to do anything, it's non toxic. Just an FYI!!!

7. krackerhill

krackerhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks for the tip on Stall Dry my feed store caters to mainly horses. Noseeums are flying gnats that are
    very tiny (hence the name) gnats that bite and make life pretty miserable. We call im flying teeth. I applied
    it with a flour sifter around the garage doors and areas the people frequent. And yes since its food grade it is harmless to the animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by