Food Grade DE / Deep Litter Method?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by m2wandc, Apr 28, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    in the learning center (chickens 101)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/raising-chickens-basics.php

there is a page talking about deep litter method and food grade DE....I'm curious what the benefits are of food grade DE and why bother...does it help decompose the wood shavings/poop or smell??? what is it's purpose?

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Helps with Smell, mites, lice and I'm sure more!

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It helps with the smell, helps dry out the litter and also helps control the fly and mite population.

4. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

OK - I want to use DE for mites etc but when I tried to buy it and asked for "food Grade" the sale people looked totally confused - said DE was DE - not for food ? and once you get it - sprinkle it on bedding? under bedding? also - someone here posted that used coffee grounds were a natural wormer - if true, how is that used? sprinkled in bedding? on food? anyone know for sure?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sure it's for food. Some kind even have pictures right on the bag of the animals you are supposed to feed it to!

6. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    How often do you (or those that use this deep litter method) actually take EVERYTHING out and start fresh?

7. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    i know that DE is supposed to be really great stuff, but make sure you wear the proper respiratory equipment. According to our package, a PAPR respirator mask is to be used. I am not sure if different brands are different sizes of particles (?), but make sure and read the package directions and don't breathe that stuff into your lungs, I am just posting that here cuz no one ever told me, and I used several times before I read the directions (my own fault) and wished I would have known.

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:I always wonder about the things we are supposed to use safety equiptment for but it's OK for our animals to breath??? Doesn't really make sense does it??? [​IMG]

9. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    no it doesn't....after I used it I did notice some white powder up around their nostrils, too. I suppose it's more about an accumulation of exposures, and we have alot longer lifespan than chickens. Didn't mean to kill your thread though.... so does anyone know how often to change DE?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

When y'all get a chance, check out two of the BYC pages that I've put together:

Food Grade DE and DLM/Deep Litter Method

Both of these pages are from my experiences using both since May 2007 and I hope they'll be some help to you. If not, don't hesitate to PM me or reply here with your questions!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by