Food grade DE dosage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by foxypoproxy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Hi guys,
    So i just bought some food grade DE from "my pet chicken"
    i was wondering what the dosage was because it doesn't really say on the bag.
    I don't have alot of birds, around 8 at most. Is there a specific measurement?
    All it says is "do not exceed 2% by weight of the total ration"...i have no idea what that means >_> im not a math person.

2. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    We use about 1/2 cup to a 5 gallon feeder. Make sure you wear a mask whenever using DE. I also make sure that the chickens are free ranging when using DE anytime. You don't want them to breath it either. It is very fine and will put up one heck of a cloud when mixing with the food. We also use it in the run and coop.

3. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Thank you!

I thought DE was safe? So its not ok to breath it in?
    Oh, and how often do you mix it in with their feed. Every day? Every week? Every month? :eek:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Yes, DE is safe. And no, you should not breathe it in.

Just like flour is safe, but it isn't meant to be breathed. And baby powder is safe, but you shouldn't breathe it in either. For that matter, so is water! Put it all over your body, even drink it, but don't try to breathe it! [​IMG]

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Yes, DE is safe. And no, you should not breathe it in.

Just like flour is safe, but it isn't meant to be breathed. And baby powder is safe, but you shouldn't breathe it in either. For that matter, so is water! Put it all over your body, even drink it, but don't try to breathe it! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well i wasn't planning on shoving my face in it and inhaling [​IMG]
    but good point

6. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    We mix a little DE into the feed everytime we fill it up. We mix it outside and then once it is mixed take it into the coop. It doesn't pouf into the air all that easily - just if you stir vigorously or the wind is blowing... we love it - we have never had worm problems with our birds and have never dewormed. We also don't have very many flies despite living near to a number of feed lots... the flies lay their eggs in the poop which is full of DE, good deal for us [​IMG]

7. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    I really don't measure it, just throw a scoop of it into the feed bag, when it looks like it is getting used up.
    Have had the chicks and quails eating it forever and no problems with bugs, worms, sickness........
    Just started my baby chicks on it and they are 3 weeks old.
    also sprinkle it on the hay where they lay.

8. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

I think i know how much to use now. [​IMG]

9. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I put between 1-2 lbs into a 50lb feed bag and mix it it. I also sprinkle in coop to keep poo dried out. other than that, shoudl be all good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by