food grade DE???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mountainroost, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mountainroost

mountainroost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Ashland, OR
    Ok, so I'm taking a guess about where to post this. My question is about food grade DE. I have looked through this site and on the internet in general and there is still something I don't get. I understand that the DE for pools is a no no. I understand that you want food grade DE and I've found sources for this on the internet. But, the stuff they sell at the hardware store for ants or fleas-- is this food grade, or like the stuff for pools, or something in between? The package that I have does not say food grade anywhere. BUT, it does say you can dust your dogs with it. Can anyone clear this up for me? Locally, the grange and the health food store have no idea what I am talking about when I say I want food grade DE.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    it will say food grade. And it don't work on flea's................... [​IMG]

3. mrstiffanymayer

mrstiffanymayer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Bakersfield California
    I found food grade DE at my local feed store. I am not sure of the differences between pool, the ant killing one you found and food grade.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I use Red Lake DE. It is "FEED" grade DE and works great for a quarter of the price. I got it at one of my local feed mills. $17.00 for a 40lb bag. I have no bugs or smell in the dog kennel or chicken coop or run. AWESOME stuff.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by