food grade DE

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountainroost, Sep 6, 2009.

1. mountainroost

mountainroost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Ashland, OR
    I have a technical question about DE. I know that pool DE is different and toxic. What I'm wondering is what the difference is between the stuff you buy at the hardware store to put around your house and "food grade" DE? I am having no luck finding food grade DE locally and before I spend a lot of money shipping food grade DE I would like to know why it is different. Does anybody know?[​IMG]
    Also, at 22 weeks we got our first eggs (2) today. Just wanted to share because we were so excited. [​IMG] My 6 year old said its like magic.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma

I am not sure what the difference is, but you only need to use Food Grade "Codex" which is also called DE (It is fossil shell powder)

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    If you go to permagaurd website it explains everthing about DE..
    Poision= collected from salt water
    Safe 4 chickens= collected from fresh water
    The difference is how it is harvested..It's actully a good read..
    Thanks hope it helps..

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I know that a lot of people are convinced that DE is wonderful stuff and acts well against parasites both internally and externally, but in my experience, it just doesn't work.

And I have the 40-odd pound bag of Food Grade DE in my basement (left over from when I tried it) that anyone who wants it can come and get it.

IMO, you're better off using more conventional methods to control parasites: wormers and things like Sevin Dust. And the shipping on a 50 lb bag of DE isn't cheap...

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The perma-guard website link you've already been given will answer your questions the best. [​IMG]

As far as it working or not goes, it depends on how much you use, how / where you use it, and how faithful you are in using it. I have used it for over a year now and absolutely love it! I am against using poisons on anything we consume, if it can be avoided and the food grade DE has helped me avoid using any man made chemicals. I use it in my chickens dusting box and they've never had mites or lice. I use it in the coop, which helps dry out the poo and keep the smell and flies down. It truly is wonderful stuff! I also use it to kill ants that try to come in my house without having a nervous breakdown that my children or dogs are going to get into any poison. I battled sugar ants for years and once I started putting the de down on the ant trails, I haven't had ants in my house all summer long, which is saying something if you live in the south! It's been great!

I recommend getting some. If you aren't sure it's something you will want to stick with, try getting a smaller amount at first. That's what I did. I found a distributor on Ebay and bought 10 lbs. to try. That lasted forever! Just a suggestion for you. [​IMG]

6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We do the deep littler method and I use DE in and around the coop and put it in their food. We have almost no flies in the chicken yard or coop. It works very well for us. I know it is not a cure all, just a good preventative.

7. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    The stuff I have is labeled for use with pets (the label suggests using it on a dog's bed, for example) but is not listed as food grade. I have asked the people at the local feed store, and they insist that as long as it doesn't say 'for pools' it is OK to use with chickens.
    That is NOT what I've read on this site, though. The feed store owner even said she'd research it for me. She called me back and said it is indeed OK to use in the bedding of the coop.
    Can't help still having my doubts.[​IMG]

8. mountainroost

mountainroost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Ashland, OR
    I just got back to my computer and read all the great responses from you all. Thanks. I read the perma guard website and I am learning more about DE than i ever thought I would, all for the sake of my chickens. I have used the hardware store DE on my dogs a lot and never questioned it- too bad for them there hasn't been a backyard dog site to give me the lowdown on everything to be aware of for their optimal health. [​IMG]
    So, I feel more knowledgable but I still do not know if the Concern brand DE that I bought at my grange is fresh water sourced- maybe its the same thing?, but it definately does not list mixing it with livestock feed as a possible use so I am guessing it is not as pure somehow??? I wish the box or the company website told me if it was crystaline or not. I feel like a DE geek.
    I am definately commited to using the least poison necessary in my life and therefore my chickens life so, I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the food grade DE.

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I agree with Pathfinders. I used DE (food grade) for about 2 years and saw no difference than before I used it or since I have stopped using it. During my use of DE is the only time my birds ever had a mite infestation. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is all hype. Many of us don't use it & our birds are just the same without DE. The science does not support the claims! Save your money! Quartz sand is just as sharp & works just as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by