food grade DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chris deiss, Aug 10, 2010.

1. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    Hi chris here just wondering if I use food grade DE to dust the coop and pen and I mix 5 % in their food do I have to ever worry about worming my chickens or having to worry about lice or mites? By the way fleet farm carrys it for 11.00 for 40 lb bag and I heard the stuff is great. I

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yes food grade. I love it [​IMG]

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:I'd like to know the answer to this, too...anyone?? [​IMG]

4. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My understanding is that DE is rendered ineffective when wet or ingested.

I have it on my bedding (deep litter about 8" now) to dry out the poop which keeps the coop smelling fresh and some on the sand run where they like to dustbath. I believe it reduces not prevent chances of infestation of mites.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    MakNugget is correct. DE is useless when wet. It will not kill worms. It's a preventative against lice/mites, not a treatment for an infestation. DE is great for drying out a coop or run.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry 3chickens, DE is nothing but silica...powdered sand, no health benefits in feeding animals powdered sand whatsoever. All companies will say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread just to make a sale. DE is hyped, it's good for drying out coops and mite/lice prevention and that's all. Again, when it's wet, like inside an animals innards, it's useless and wont kill anything when wet.

7. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I took this info from Wikipedia:

Pest control
    Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations.[citation needed] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[12] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations, but this method may take weeks to work.[13]

[edit] Absorbent

Its absorbent qualities make it useful for spill clean-up and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommends it to clean up toxic liquid spills. These qualities also lend themselves to use in facial masks to absorb excess oils.
    It has been employed as a primary ingredient in a type of cat litter. The type of silica used in cat litter comes from freshwater sources and does not pose a significant health risk to pets or humans.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Read post #47 in this link about the effectiveness of DE regarding worming chickens: Solid proof it doesnt work via necropsy report.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/15864/how-much-diatomaceous-earth-per-50-lbs-of-feed/40

9. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Yeah, Im pretty sure the stuff I posted said its efficiency is questionable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by