Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Have some ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Joe.G, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, I am not sure where to post these questions.

I picked up a 50 LBS bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, I am planning on using it around the Barn and feeding it to my livestock Mainly Rabbits and Chickens.

Then I got reading a bit on the net and I am now thinking of also giving it to the dog's it seems that it is good there health.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff is it worth it? If so what would be the best way to add it to the dog's / Chickens/ Rabbits routine? How much should I give?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Diatomaceous Earth works good as a absorbent product and it is ok as a livestock dust but Diatomaceous Earth has no affect on internal pests.

Chris

3. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY

4. BlueBob

BlueBob Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Not trying to be a smartazz, but I've been doing a lot of reading on DE and everything that I've read says that it does control intestinal parasites. What makes you say that it doesn't?

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Blue Bob I have read the same stuff.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    So DE is effective at controlling internal parasites, depending on the breed of chicken, according to that research article.

That tells me that it wouldn't hurt to feed it to chickens. None of the chickens will be bothered, and the breeds that can benefit will benefit.

The research article stated that 2% DE was added to feed.

8. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    2% is what the bag say's also but I am not sure how much that is, So Ill just mix some in, I heard you can't overdose them with it.

9. Peeps5

Peeps5 New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    I use it in my coop and have not had any problems with insect. I use a metal strainer and spread it all over the coop and run. Then I add Pine and Cedar shavings on top. (Deep Liter Method) It also keeps the smell down better than anything.

10. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    i give my dog DE. i do worm him with heart guard for heart worm, which is a no brainer since it will kill your dog, everyone should do that. but for the other worms i give him HUMAN food grade DE mixed in with some cottage cheese for one whole week during the full moon. works great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by