1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food & Grit Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackers Mama, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Feed stores are pretty far for me so I've been looking on Amazon for some feed & grit for my one duckling whose about 3 weeks old. So far I've found this food:

[​IMG]

& this grit:

[​IMG]

I plan to ferment the feed & also give fresh veggies & such as snacks. Right now he's an indoor duckling (once he's big enough he'll be outdoors, with proper accommodations of coarse). Right now he only goes outside every couple of days for about a hour (here in Tx it's to hot, humid & to many mosquitoes to be outside everyday lol). My questions are:

1) Are these overly priced?

2) Is this feed/grit good enough?

3) Anyone have any bad experiences with this feed? Ie: ducks don't like it, gained to much weight...

4) Anyone have any recommendations for other sites I can order from?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I was looking at that grit today on amazon and jumped over to the tractor supply site and their grit was way cheaper. I'm a noob so I don't know if it's any good but I can't imagine there is a big difference in grit.

3. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I think the only difference is price. Found some "chick grit", which is finer on Fleming Outdoor for $7.50 & the same feed for $8.25 & the shipping for both is $8.95. Comes out to about five bucks cheaper than ordering through Amazon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by