Food in same shed as chickens?

chickenbaguette

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
We're going to get a shed for our chickens, and since we only have six we're thinking of splitting it in two and using one half for the perches and the other for the food and bedding, with a divider in between (so the chickens can't get into the food and the food can't get into the chickens).

Just wondering what your views are on this? I don't know if this is a bad thing to do for some reason?

Thanks!

Will work just fine. I didn't even divide my coop. I simply put the feed in metal trash cans and I just keep one bale of shavings and keep a piece of plywood on that to keep point toe nails from poking holes in the bag.

My coop is set up like that.....1/3 of the space is for storage and 2/3 for the bird's living space. That's what I would recommend. The more room, the better for your flock, even if it's a small flock.

I keep my food and scratch grains in an aluminum trash can with a lid, to keep the predators out. I also keep my straw or wood shavings in the storage room of the coop, along with any feed dishes or chicken accessories that I need.

Ok, thank you! I'm glad to hear that
smile.png

But don't trash cans have holes in the bottom? I need some feed bins :L

Quote:
No, mine don't. I bought the galvinized cans, bit pricey but I've had them since 1993 and other than the chicken poop stains on the lid still good as new. ;-)

We have our feed in metal trash cans, and though we have the chickens and feed seperate, we could easily keep the feed with the chicks if we had to
smile.png

I keep feed and treats in metal trash cans right in the coop, I just carry a couple bags of feed out every other week and dump them in. The chickens sometimes roost and poop on the trash can cover but that's the only problem I've encountered with that setup.

Back
Top Bottom