food in the coop at night?

Do they have a lamp turned on in the night? They don't 'need' it so you can just stop anytime.

HS Pye

actually tonight is the first night and they will not have any lamp or Heat and there. we live in North Carolina right now it's still very mild.

thank you so much as you can tell I'm new with chickens and I'm learning as I go. you guys are awesome!!

Putting food out at night attracts rodents so its best to remove food at dark or when you turn out the lights, they don't move much in the dark and certainly don't eat when they cant see.

Were all here to help and learn, so don't worry about not knowing something.
I have learned a lot from BYC, The best chicken site ever!
bow.gif

Steve.
frow.gif

Ditto on what's already been said about feed left out at night and rodents. I have 60 pullets and 8 Roosters and know how much they will consume on a daily basis so I put that amount split between two hanging galvanized feeders - one in each side of the coop/run area.

I always feed in the a.m. and water in the p.m. which works out very well for me - never too much to do at any one time.

Elaine

well I guess everyone does it different---I feed before it gets dark (water when empty which is every other day) I like to feed in the evening because my crew free range and I want them to go eat bugs and grass all day long. it helps keep the feed bill down till the snow hits. I only give them what they eat in one day-- dishes are empty when they get done.

i am the same as the others, take the food up at night, don't want to attract mice, who then attract the snakes.....i feed and water of a morning, and they free range all day, but still have access to the pellets if they want them, they also get treats a couple of days a week

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6014817/width/500/height/1000[/IMG[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6014821/width/350/height/700[/IMGare

My chicks are in a sand run with a little grass planted at the bottom so I'm leaving the food out of that all day is that okay?

Back
Top Bottom