food in the coop at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kcobbs, Oct 15, 2013.

1. kcobbs

kcobbs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    my baby chicks are 6 weeks old when do you stop putting food in the coop at night?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Do they have a lamp turned on in the night? They don't 'need' it so you can just stop anytime.

HS Pye

3. kcobbs

Aug 7, 2013
    actually tonight is the first night and they will not have any lamp or Heat and there. we live in North Carolina right now it's still very mild.

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    They should be fine without. Our chickens don't eat at night period. Hope this helps!

HS Pye

5. kcobbs

Aug 7, 2013
    thank you so much as you can tell I'm new with chickens and I'm learning as I go. you guys are awesome!!

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Putting food out at night attracts rodents so its best to remove food at dark or when you turn out the lights, they don't move much in the dark and certainly don't eat when they cant see.

Were all here to help and learn, so don't worry about not knowing something.
    I have learned a lot from BYC, The best chicken site ever![​IMG]
    Steve.[​IMG]

7. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Ditto on what's already been said about feed left out at night and rodents. I have 60 pullets and 8 Roosters and know how much they will consume on a daily basis so I put that amount split between two hanging galvanized feeders - one in each side of the coop/run area.

I always feed in the a.m. and water in the p.m. which works out very well for me - never too much to do at any one time.

Elaine

8. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    well I guess everyone does it different---I feed before it gets dark (water when empty which is every other day) I like to feed in the evening because my crew free range and I want them to go eat bugs and grass all day long. it helps keep the feed bill down till the snow hits. I only give them what they eat in one day-- dishes are empty when they get done.

9. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    i am the same as the others, take the food up at night, don't want to attract mice, who then attract the snakes.....i feed and water of a morning, and they free range all day, but still have access to the pellets if they want them, they also get treats a couple of days a week

10. kcobbs

Aug 7, 2013
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6014817/width/500/height/1000[/IMG[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6014821/width/350/height/700[/IMGare

My chicks are in a sand run with a little grass planted at the bottom so I'm leaving the food out of that all day is that okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by