Food in the coop or in the run?

ktklages

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
We just finished building our chicken coop called 'the garden coop' (we bought the plans online). We were going to be hanging the food and water from under neath the hen house (it's raised up substantially from the ground with lots of room underneath), but should we also be putting food and water IN the hen house as well? Especially when it's too cold and they may not want to go outside into the run

I only keep the food and water outside. If your coop is large enough there's no problem keeping feed and water inside the coop too. My chickens go into the run everyday of the year. The coldest morning this winter they waited for the temp to rise some then hit the run before10 am. I just threw some sunflower seed in the coop with them that morning.

I always keep food and water inside my coop. I keep a LARGE waterer in the coop and change the water every day (my babies drink A LOT) and during the winter time especially, I like to give them the opportunity to eat whenever they need to so that their system keeps running well. They get FRESH food such as fruits and veggies every day while in the run and a little scratch before being put up for the night... But I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep food and water available to them!

Thanks! Food and water would always be available because the door is always open between the coop and run. The coop itself isn't super large so I'm afraid of taking up room with the feeder and waterer.

As long as they have access to food and water, then do what ever makes it easiest to take care of them. :) just remember that clean water is VERY important for them. Good luck!!!

I keep the food IN the coop. Chickens can be sloppy eaters, and feed laying around on the ground WILL draw mice, and maybe even rats. Another good reason I keep the food in the coop, is because of the local wild bird population. They just love free food, feed costs enough without giving it away to wild birds. Not to mention the wild birds carrying parasites and possible disease. Keep the feed in the coop, out of sight of the wildlife.
I for the most part keep the water in the coop too, but I put outside, an extra water fount in the warmer months.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom