1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food in the Duck house or out?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sab, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Who feeds in the duck hut and who feeds outside or both?? Taking a poll of sorts....

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Either one. If it's rainy, I put it in the house to keep it dry. Otherwise, I put it in the pen but outside the house because it's more convenient for me. The main thing is to try and keep the food and the water as far apart as practical, because they will try really really hard to get their food wet, and that makes it gross and potentially dangerous if it grows mold.

3. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep the food under shelter so it won't be able to get wet. I don't have an actual duck house for all them. They all have shelter from the rain & sun if they choose & there is a small coop(the size of an out house) where the hens will lay their eggs & sit on them. ~Julie~

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners have a 4'x8' house with a 4'x8' attached porch (covered all around with half inch hardware cloth). The floor of the porch is a little sand and soil on the hardware cloth, topped with sawdust. The ducks top it with straw from the house - they have their own decorating style [​IMG]

Anyway, food and water are on the porch, not in the house. I've found that using a straight sided pot and four inch deep feed pan keep things more tidy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by