Food Intake

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Briyon, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Briyon

Briyon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Richmond, VT
    It seems to me that my hens are really uping their food intake in the cold weather. They also started laying about a month and a half ago. I used to be able to fill my food bin up and it would last about 6 or 7 days. Now it lasts about 3 of 4. Is that because of the laying or the cold or both. Also, I have been giving them oyster shell in thier run. Is there anything else I should be doing for them besides feeding them layer feed and water?

Thanks,

Brian

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My birds always pig out in winter. We go thru so much more food then than any other time of year!!

As for the oystershell...sounds good [​IMG] I keep oystershell always availiable in the coop as well as grit, both are free fed so they take what they need.

Or in the case of my beasts they dump it out on the shavings and have a grand old time scratching for it.

Little heathens!

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Brian, egg production uses up 75% of what they require in the way of protein each day.

Table 2. Daily Protein Needs, Auburn Univ.

Then, they will eat until they have sufficient calories. If it is really cold, they'll need lots of calories. My birds seem to eat about 1/3rd more during the cold weather.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by