1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food issues.. Beware

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hugz4all4, Mar 16, 2015.

1. hugz4all4

hugz4all4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I bought a bag of Purina flockraier and Dumor layer crumbles from TSC last weekend.
    I normally have my hens on Nutrena layer crumbles from my local feed store.
    My chickens seemed a little thin, bored with the food, i had a coupon and when they were chicks I had used flockraiser before without issue.
    They are also fed scratch, BOSS, mealworms when available and scrapes. We also had a very tough winter.. I live in upstate NY..
    They laid all winter no issues. They were born last spring.
    I mixed the food so they weren't getting too much protein and gettinng enough layer.
    Less than a week on it.. I had 2 hens with bloody butts and one dead chicken!!
    With lots of tlc, reading and research I was able to bring the other two hens around.
    They are back on Nutrena and have electrolytes/vitamins in thier water until I know the rest of them will be ok.
    So food gone bad? Switch too much? Dumor crumbles was all the same percentages as Nutrena? I didnt add too much flockraiser at once.. Just kind of as a boost.. All i know is Never again will i use again!!

2. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    I had always use Dumor from tsc and my flock always been healthy.
    I don't think they were bored, most likely thay got coccidiosis. Thats why they were not eating well and had blood. Buy something for coccidiosis.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. chick124

chick124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    Usually when you switch feed alot it will destroy there digestive systems also to much protien can give them a heart attack.

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Mr. King. I use whatever is on sale and have never had problems like you described. Hope you can treat the others and not suffer more losses.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Switching food the way you did should have made no difference. I agree, they had (and have) Coccidiosis. You'd be wise to treat the remaining chickens with Amprol, you can get it at the feed store and it will not hurt them if they don't have Coccidiosis. Since you've had deaths, I'd treat them with two tsp of Corid (Amprol) per gallon for five days.

We feed Flockraiser to our mixed age flock regularly, and alternate with Layer mash, crumbles, or pellets, as well as some cracked corn and scratch. And they have table scraps and free range. No problems with feed. Ever.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have your chickens been wormed?

7. hugz4all4

hugz4all4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thank you all for the advice.
    They haven't been around other chickens, dont roam.. Never have. How would they get coccidiosis? i will treat them if it will help.
    So far my other chickens have been ok.
    All have solid poo and had solid poo up until that point.
    On the worms, no they havent been treated and that was my next step.
    The two "sick" chickens are on the mend, doing better, no more bloody butts, back to eating and drinking good.. Pooping normal.
    On the antibiotics.. Do i keep the eggs or no?
    Thanks

8. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    I have never had that problem but is recommended to medicate the entire flock. But someone else can confirm you that. But you need to medicate those 2 for sure even if they're not acting like that anymore they still have it. And do Not consume eggs while on medication and do not use hens for breeding since they're not the strongest hens.

9. chick124

chick124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    When i deworm i don't eat the eggs for three weeks but you can get diamtacous earth and you can still eat the eggs with no worry

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Diamotaceous earth will not worm chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by