Food/Liquid Coming From Roo's Nostrils

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purplechicken7, Sep 18, 2016.

1. purplechicken7

purplechicken7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    This has been an ongoing endeavor and I cannot find the cause of this. My roo and sometimes a few other members of my flock experience food and what appears to be water coming from their nostrils. Is this normal or what can I do to fix this?

[​IMG]

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there! You do have a problem there, are any of them exhibiting any other symptoms?

3. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop

Nope! That's the only thing. The cockerel that I have the most concern for is eating, drinking, and acting normally. He has been having this issue for a while now but the smell has just recently became apparent. Now that I think about it, some of my birds don't really have a runny nose; they sneeze.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It sounds like a respiratory infection. I would trat the entire flock with tylan, or another antibiotic.

5. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop

Is there a withdrawal period for Tylan? And how much should I give them? I have a 3 gal. drinker and a 1 gal. drinker if the antibiotic is water soluble.

6. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry I didn't get back to you. I have not been getting BYC notifications for months now. It's a pain, but I have to back track thru my profile to find whatever I posted. Anyway, a week later, How are the chickens? And I love your avatar. She is a beauty! :D

7. purplechicken7

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop

It's alright. The chickens are doing okay. I have them all 3 small doses of amoxicillin and there's no more sneezing.

Thanks! That's actually the same roo that I have posted on this thread about being ill.

8. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Well, then He is a beauty. Hope all is going well with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by