Food mills

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I want to get one, but I want a good one. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, anyone have their food strainer/grinder? How well does it work.

I will primarily be using it for blackberries.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Reviews on the Kitchen Aid attachment says it clogs on blackberries - so that's out.

Best reviews so far is the OXO food mill.

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have one but it is difficult to use on blackberries. It does work, though. If that was my primary use, I'd probably get the victtorio (spelling?) with the changable screens. I love my kitchen aid for apple sauce, tomato sauce, raspberry jam, small batches of blackberries. But, if I were doing tons of blackberries, maybe not.
    It's not supposed to work on grapes, either. I havent tried that yet. My complaint is that it only has one screen and it's rather fine. It would be nice to have a coarser screen for larger seeded work, to help prevent clogging issues.
    I've thought about looking for a cheap hand mill but I don't need it often enough to justify it. I do use the kitchen aid for big batches of stuff fairly often.
    I also love the meat grinder you can get in the same package.
    Make sure you buy the larger tray separately.

4. I have been using a Squeezo for over 30 years and love it, I have 3 screens, one for fruit, one for berries and one for pumpkin/squash. The only thing I found I can't run thru it is grapes. I believe Lehmann's is carrying it again; for years I hadn't seen it on the market. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by