Food mixed with grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmdsparrow, May 15, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I plan on giving my chicks a pear for a treat. Do I mix it with the grit? What do I do? No where do I find any specific directions.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I have been serving grit a la mode (on the side) Mine get a dish of it and help themselves as needed. I wouldn't put it in with the pear all in one dish, just 'cause in my head, if they don't eat all the grit, then you have a sticky mess of left over grit, and why waste it? I'm not experienced by any means tho...it's just what I have been doing and it seems to work, so I thought I would share. OH! I leave their grit in there all the time...just saying in case you were wondering:)

3. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I leave a little bowl of it on the side as well... I've also just sprinkled it on top of their regular food. So that they have it already, and I can just give them treats as I wish! They do love their crumbles with some warm water though! They go nutty!

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I have the grit in a separate container. It is available to the 24 x 7. I don't mix grit with their food.

5. cow_girl

cow_girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ontario
    I do all three things... sometimes I sprinkle a little on top of the treat... sometimes I sprinkle a little in there feed... but usually I just leave a dish in the brooder for them... [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I like to offer grit separately so I can see how much they are consuming, and so I know when to offer more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by