Food of the gods

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by max13077, Sep 12, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hot peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon... [​IMG] It's literally one of the best things I've ever eaten.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    WOW, those look yummy, and I hate jalapanos!

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    That really looks good. I love stuffed peppers. I am hungry now. [​IMG]

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    They do look like food of the gods, however, if I indulge in those my butt is going to get so wide the gods won't be able to haul me up to join them when I'm gone [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything wrapped in bacon has to be good!!! That's a rule isn't it? (I'd quote my ex-husband more accurately, but this is a family site so I can't [​IMG] )

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Oh those look sooooooo good!

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    My hubby would love those. Is it just plain cream cheese or do you mix it with anything?

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Labor intensive, but still one of my favorite foods! I'd be vegetarian if it were't for bacon! [​IMG]

I like to add chopped, cooked shrimp to the cream cheese during shrimp season!

ETA, line that pan with foil, it will make life easier. They're also great on the grill.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Notta thing journey.

Here's what I did:

Oven at 375, or you can do them on the grill. You really have to watch them though. So I'm comfortable using the oven.

Ingredients:
    14, 3"(or so) jalapeno peppers
    1 package of cream cheese
    1 pound of bacon cut in half

Tools:
    latex gloves
    Serrated Knife(a lot easier to cut the peppers)
    grapefruit spoon
    a handful of toothpicks soaked in water for an hour or so
    a sheet pan
    a cooling rack or something else to elevate the peppers off the pan and out of the grease while they cook.

Method:

Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds/veins out with the spoon. If you want them hot, leave the veins in. Please use gloves*.

Use the peppers to scoop the cream cheese, then level it off. You don't want it over stuffed.

Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around the pepper. Then secure it with a toothpick

Stick them in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the bacon is done. It really depends on how many times you wrapped the bacon around. If it's a single layer, it'll be done sooner. If you have some overlapping, it'll take longer. When the bacon is a brownish and slightly translucent, it's done.

They aren't hot at all. I know people are saying I'm a goof for writing that. However the cream cheese defeats the hotness of the peppers. All you get is that nice fruity flavor with only an occasional "puff" of heat. Of course if you leave the veins in, they will be quite hot.

So enjoy!!!! They really are good. Even if you don't like hot food, try them. My Mom is a wuss when it comes to heat in food. She thinks Old Bay seasoning is hot and she loves these.

* My brother-in-law made these once when we were coming over. We got there and he was sitting on the couch doubled over with the most pained look on his face I ever saw. We were terrified he was having a heart attack or something. However my sister explained things to us. He had made them without gloves. When he was done making them and they were in the oven, he went to the bathroom; without washing his hands first.... Needless to say he turned his (throat clearing noise) into a Texas hot! [​IMG] So use gloves. I also hear if you get it in your eye it's particularly painful as well.

10. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    these no doubt are one of my fav's too...... bout time i get to cooken us up some.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by