Food past the fresh date....safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chick-e-pie, Oct 9, 2007.

1. chick-e-pie

chick-e-pie Out Of The Brooder

Hi.

We were on vacation for a couple of weeks and my package of spinach greens became very wilted while we were gone. I'd like to give it to my hens but I'm not sure at what point it gets unsafe. It's not moldy and it doesn't seem rotten. I just has some leaves that are getting mushy.

Thanks

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If there is no mold....throw it to them! They will thank you!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I totally agree with Debbie. No mold then give it to them.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I do not feed spinach to my birds. Not only does it contain tannins (Tannins can inhibit digestive enzymes, bind protein, and reduce the bioavailability of vitamin B12 and iron.5 Additionally, at high levels, tannins can cause epithelium and liver damage) but the oxalate content makes it unsuitable for birds ....Oxalate (oxalic acid) is an organic acid makes calcium and other trace minerals unavailable to birds because it binds them. Lower levels of oxalate can cause reduced growth, kidney stones, and poor bone mineralization. Peas, beets, beet greens, lettuce, turnips, carrots, and berries have lower levels of oxalates; high levels of oxalates can cause diarrhea, poor blood clotting, vomiting and convulsions. Very high levels are found in spinach

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

WOW, I didnt know that about spinach!! Thanks!

6. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Tannins and oxalates do the same thing to us, when eated in excess. I think a little wouldn't harm the birds. I give mine dock leaves (very high in oxalates) and they haven't had a problem, but it's also not a major part of their diet.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, I didn't know that about the spinach!! [​IMG] My chickens ate all my spinach in the garden last spring and I didn't get any at all!!! I then fenced in the garden. Nothing went wrong with my chickens, thank goodness. All are healthy and doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by