Food plot to feed chickens in winter???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aShMaNv, Aug 16, 2010.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I deer and turkey hunt and always plant food plots for them to eat in the late fall. Usually i plant winter wheat and rye with some turnips and oats. My chickens just love to forage and it will be time for the grass to start dying off. So i was wondering if it would be a good idea to plant a plot this winter for them to forage in during winter months when everything else is dead? What types of winter crops would chickens like the most?

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My chicken LOVE kale. It is a cool weather crop from the cabbage family and seems to sprout easily from seed. It's a good leafy green for the family too, if the chooks leave you any of it.

3. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    my chickens won't touch kale. they seemed to like winter wheat pretty well, it gives them something green for the winter, even if you don't let them run out you can harvest a handful every once in awhile for them.

4. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I was thinking winter what. Haven't heard of kale but may consider planting a bit to see if the chickens like it. I usually mix something in with the wheat. Usually oat or turnips. What would be a good seed to mix with the winter wheat for chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by