Food poisoning for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by callieisspooky, Mar 31, 2015.

  1. callieisspooky

    callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    I gave my daughter some scrambled cheese eggs this morning, and she said it tasted funny. An hour later she threw it all up. I noticed that the cheese was wet, and I'm now thinking it was contaminated. Unfortunately, I had already fed the rest of the bag to the chickens by the time my daughter felt sick. Do you think my chickens are in danger? I know listeria is common in deli cheese. (I don't think it was the egg, because it had only been laid the day before).

    Daughter is feeling much better, by the way. :)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

    ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

    Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What kind of cheese? Was it real cheese or 'cheese food'. How did it get wet?
    Real aged cheese is unlikely to go bad.
  3. pdirt

    pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My limited experience with food poisoning is most people don't get sick until 2-4 hours after eating contaminated food. But still, it might have been food poisoning nonetheless. Regardless, cheese isn't all that great for chickens anyways because of the high salt content. Chickens can't process out salt nearly as well as we humans can. No damage in the short term, but not a good habit to make of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by