Food Question for Baby Ducklings

Ducks81

Chirping
Nov 7, 2019
Hi Everyone, if you have been seeing any of my many posts you will already know I incubated and now I can say “successfully” hatched my two ducklings!! They are both healthy and strong!!! Yay!! I have attached a picture below...Anyway I need some advice about their food. I have poultry beginners feed non-medicated (photo attached) however I do know that ducks need extra niacin and that is why it is preferred to use a special feed for them. While I do not have that feed, is this one ok as long as I add Niacin to their diet? If so, how much do you recommend and do you think adding to water is best or the food?
I got to thinking and was wondering...my female (Mom) is an Indian Runner and my male (dad) is a Rouen. Does that make the little ones a mix? Do they become one or the other breed? Also, what happens if these babies end up female and I introduce them to my other two. The mom and dad. The dad would be the only male, wouldn’t he try to mount the females?? Those would be his babies so how does that work? Is that even ok? Thanks for all the help!!
B4D03477-CC62-41F2-95C2-C2F337FCAD28.jpeg
1D70C587-87D2-4FAE-807E-687048BFEC82.jpeg

Congrats on the hatch! I cannot vouch for the feed product shown, I can contribute that I’ve given my ducklings 2 TBSP of Brewer’s Yeast for every cup of food. I do it in the feed over water because with all the splashing ducklings do, there is no guarantee the ducks are receiving their niacin. My regimen for my Pekins seems to have worked well as they do not appear to have any leg deformities due to niacin deficiencies

Congrats on the hatch! I cannot vouch for the feed product shown, I can contribute that I’ve given my ducklings 2 TBSP of Brewer’s Yeast for every cup of food. I do it in the feed over water because with all the splashing ducklings do, there is no guarantee the ducks are receiving their niacin. My regimen for my Pekins seems to have worked well as they do not appear to have any leg deformities due to niacin deficiencies
Thank you!!!!

Do you just buy the powder and mix it in with the duckling feed? Or do you wait until they are a little older to supplement the yeast?

I get the flakes and sprinkle it on top then very lightly stir it in to the top of the feed with my fingers. That way no one gets a bite of JUST the yeast.

I don't have any experience with male ducks mounting their daughters, but my rooster certainly mounts his offspring. I gather any of their eggs immediately because I don't want any chicks to develop.

Also, I've raised ducklings on the Purina feed and added niacin. In a pinch, I've given babies frozen peas for a little natural niacin boost until I could get the yeast.

Back
Top Bottom