Food question........Is this Gumbo????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Jolyn, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Wasn't sure where i should put this so i stuck it here in Random Ramblings.......I hope someone can fill me it......

A while ago i saw an episode of Wife Swap or Trading Spouces and they had a family that made this delicious looking meal.

I am looking at a picture right this minute that looks just like it. It has sausage, potatoes, shrimp, some veggies, crab and maybe even lobster in it.......Is this gumbo???

I remember on the show they made it over a fire outside in a huge pot....then put newspaper down on the picnic table and dumped the entire thing out on it.....Everyone just ate it with their fingers.

This stuff looked sooooooooooo absolutely delicious. Now in the "Something Extra" magazine our grocery store puts out i see a pot of it.....there is no recipe though.

Does anyone here make this? What are the spices that you use. How do you go about cooking this?

Please if anyone knows i would love the recipe!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Actually, it sounds more like Frogmore Stew, a southeastern thing- it is made all up and down the southeastern coast, and goes by many names, including Low Country Boil. (Gumbo is not of a consistency that it can be dumped out on a table.) Frogmore Stew is GOOOOOD stuff- we cook it in a huge pot on a propane ring out back.

Here's what appears to be a good recipe-

http://dining.discoversouthcarolina.com/famous-flavors/frogmore-stew.aspx

P.S. This thread should be in the Egg, Chicken and Other Recipes

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks to you both.

I had just heard the term..."low country boil"....I think that is what i'm thinking of.

I didn't even know there was a recipe board on here.....guess i need to look around more.

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    The spices we use are shrimp and crab boil, it comes in a liquid or a box . The box is what I use, there is a mesh bag in the box full of the spices. Just follow the directions. WE put shrimp, crab, crawfish, sausage, corn-on-the-cob and new potatos.Oh and onions. When done drain and dump into the middle of of your table. We eat this outside and cover the table with butcher paper. no plates or flatware, just fingers,salt ,pepper and a roll of paper towels. we also have a bucket of hot water with wash cloths for each guest to use when they are finished with their meal. This is not Gumbo. hope this helps! micah [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Crab is good, micah, VERY good! I ate more crab when I lived in Austin than I do here on the SC coast.

Don't forget the cold beer and sweet tea! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Oh boy, the recipe board here is great! I find so much to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by