1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by voxgm, Jan 27, 2013.

1. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky
    So I have my baby. Pearl, she's Is my buff duck and she's 2 1/2 years old. I have had her on purina flock raiser since the beginning. I feed her snacks every now and then like Cheerios, lettuce, minnows. She's very very picky. I was wondering if like she could have a small tiny piece of crab meat(fully cooked of course). I'm talking like very small piece. Half an inch maybe. And what else can I feed her? She's my pride and joy :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like a very loved duck. and [​IMG] I don't see why not offering her a small amount of crab meat would hurt. Probably not breaded since the sodium content would be higher but that probably wouldn't ever hurt once in a while. My ducks love peas, I buy them frozen and thaw them in some water in the microwave, they love them. also dried meal worms are a big hit here.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements" list of more goodies to feed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky
    O yeah she loves dried meal worms. When I hatched her and everything she loved grapes. Now she that she's older she won't eat them. I would give her cabbage but she choked in it before so I stopped feeding it to her. She's picky on eggs, she will only eat them boiled. What about like sun dried krill? I have a 300 gallon salt water tank and my fish eat 100% natural krill and shrimp. Could she have a bit of those? And yes she is very loved. She lived in the house with a diaper for 1 1/2 years then I moved and couldn't have her inside. She is now with her so called boyfriend(male blue swed)outside in a fully heated cabin with a nice closed in fence to keep her safe and from flying out. I also keep a rifle close to blast anything that get near her pin. Love that bird :)

4. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky
    Thank you for the link btw. That's an amazing list of foods. Sweet!

5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I no the feeling I'd die if anything happened to mine. Bok choy peas cooked plain oatmeal and bananas are a hit with mine. Plain cooked spaghetti noodles boiled no oil is a great treat every once in a while they go spastic over that!

6. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky
    Pearl hates bananas and peas. She runs from bananas. Like she's afraid of them or something. She's strange. She loves watching the airplanes pass by. Omg and she loves to go by by in the car. She will snuggle up in the passenger seat and snoozes away. When she sees me driving around she starts going nuts. She will run back and forth till I put her in there. She also has a soccer ball she sleeps with. Not sure why tho lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky
    My male duck loves her tho. Without her I'm sure he would die. They had ducklings months ago. I left them at my parents pond and they love it.

8. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Soccer ball aw that's so cute u got pics I got 2buffs 4 mon. They have sweetest & gentle disposition. Buttercup and miss muppet

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd try her on the krill and shrimp, they love worms and frogs and such as that can't imagine why they wouldn't like krill and shrimp.

10. voxgm

voxgm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Benton Kentucky

I have pictures in my profile albums. Haven't figured out how to post my photos to a thread yet(I'm on iPhone).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by