Food. Question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Franki, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Franki

Franki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    I have a food question.
    When I go out in the evening I have repeatedly noticed my Reebok hanging out by the kitchen door and picking the ground (garage floor) there.
    For weeks I have watched her and wondered what she is looking for with that behavior.
    Just now it occurred to me...the cooler that I pour the bag of dog food in is right there and she always appears to be picking around under its edges.
    Then I thought about the dogs always checking for dropped pieces of kibble.
    I opened the lid and sprinkled some on the floor in front of her and she went for it like a chicken on a bug!
    It is Taste Of The Wild dog food, grain free.
    Does anyone know if this is ok for her to eat?
    She has Mazuri and Big Four along with scratch and cracked corn.
    I will give her all she wants I guess I'm just really surprised at how she chomped it down.
    Is it ok?
    Linda
    With Reebok, Oliver and Piper

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have read on here of others feeding some cat and dog kibble to their geese and ducks so I'd say a little wouldn't do harm.

3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My late goose, Keld, would trample frail old ladies to get to cat or dog kibble.

I asked the vet if it was ok to use as treats, and she said it was fine if used sparingly - and that I should use dog kibble; it contains less fat than cat food. She also said it was way too fatty to use as a staple.

I always carried around those treats in my pocket and used them as positive reinforcement. Now I carry rye bread; my current goose doesn't like crunchy food.

1 person likes this.
  4. Franki

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info.
    She definitely likes it. I gave her a small handful tonight and she gobbled it down.
    She will be 21 in May so she can pretty much have what she wants in moderation.
    She has always been a grazer and not so good at eating commercial foods regardless of what I have tried so this really surprises me.
    I did ring her vert this morning and ask one of the girls to find out if it's ok.
    So I will see what he has to say.
    Linda,
    Reebok, Oliver and Piper.

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Wow, 21! Guess I know what her birthday "cake" will look like [​IMG]:

[​IMG]

My Keld was a grazer, too, but she always loved cat food. When she was a tiny gosling, she'd go through the cat bowl to pick out broken pieces small enough for her to eat (and scatter the bigger pieces all over the floor). She was a heavy goose before she got sick, 20 pounds, so I was careful not to feed her too many treats.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats cute. Franki you'll have to do this when Reebok turns 21.

7. Franki

Apr 25, 2012
    That is too cute!
    I can't believe how long it took me to figure out what she was doing over there.
    I would watch her every night and think to myself, "I wonder what she's picking for?"
    Then I had this picture of the dogs ..first place they go is around that cooler. Of course I knew what they were doing.
    Dogs, dog food. Who knew ..goose, dog food
    I have given her a small handful morning and evening. She absolutely loves it. Now Piper has started eating it I guess from seeing Reebok.
    I can't tell you how many different foods I've tried to get her to eat especially as i worry about her in Winter.
    Too bad this isn't the best for her. I've never seen her eat anything except her evening salad with that much enthusiasm and these veggies are expensive.
    Linda,
    Reebok, Oliver and Piper

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she is on the slim side I don't see anything wrong in giving her some 2X day, I'm going to try it on mine too, when it's cold mine get whole corn in morning and afternoon along with their feed I think they burn the extra calories up when it's cold out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by