1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Food questions for 10 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tjparker60, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    I give my girls cooked oatmeal with raisins in the mornings... they LOVE it. The raisins are the first thing gone and then the oatmeal! Stupid question probably, but I buy the Old Fashion Oats at the store... can I buy the large bag of oats at the feed store and cook it up like oatmeal???
    Also when can I start giving them sprouted BOSS or other sprouted foods?
    They have picked their run clean of grass and everything else. How can I get them some greens? I gave them spinach and kale, they ate it, but reluctantly! Any ideas? Any help is appreciated as I'm new to this!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens need a balanced Diet in order to grow properly...I will assume they are laying Pullets...
    By feeding them a bunch of other things other than a proper age appropriate diet...You can cause Health, behavioural and poor egg production....For Layers treats should only be at 5% of Daily diet...Meaning a Tablespoon a day per Bird..Much less with Chicks...

Best of luck...

Cheers!

3. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    They are on a balanced diet! No they are not on layer feed as they are only 10 weeks old so they are on grower feed. And they are bantams so they eat crumbles! I only give treats in the morning and at night to get them in the coop. They are very healthy! I was asking about greens as they ate all the grass in their run!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. chickens really

I am sorry.....I never implied your Feeding layer pellets....They are Pullets that will grow to be Layers...Am I correct?

I only gave you my way of Feeding Chicks to Laying age...You can feed your Birds how ever you want? You started the thread so I replied to help you...

Cheers!

5. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    Sorry! When writing, things don't come out how you intend. I did not mean to offend. Thanks for your response. Maybe instead of asking I will just search on other threads to see if I can find the answer. Again I apologize!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. chickens really

You want to know about greens....You can grow your own also...Look up Fodder/ spouting greens...Romain Lettuce, Purple cabbage, peas...Pumpkin, squash..Cucumbers...Just to name a few things...

Cheers!

7. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016

Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by