Food scraps for quail--what to avoid?

lauramacf

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Webster Groves
Hey y'all, are there any fruit and veggie scraps that I should avoid giving my quail? They don't seem to care for potato and carrot scraps, but of course they like apples and even nibbled at a little cooked broccoli. Of course, they like lettuce. I've just been trying bits and pieces of things here and there, but am wondering about bananas and tomatoes, etc., and whether there is anything that would be bad for them.

Any advice will be appreciated!

I dunno about tomatoes, they are pretty acidic. I dont think it would kill them but it may make them miserable?

If you boil the carrots I bet they'd like those too!

I'd say just stay away from fruits and veggies that other animals shouldnt eat as well....it's something like avicado or something like that that's poisoinous to animals....(i forget which one it is).

If it was me, id' stay away from obvious poisonous plants, and acidic plants but in moderation im sure accidic plants are fine.
smile.png

Quote:
Nearly all fruit and veggies we eat are just fine for the birds, but avoid avocado and onions.

Try different varieties to see what they like or dislike. It is important this time of year to provide lots of green food for them as the grass and trees in their aviaries are now dormant.

Dan

Quote:
Nearly all fruit and veggies we eat are just fine for the birds, but avoid avocado and onions.

Try different varieties to see what they like or dislike. It is important this time of year to provide lots of green food for them as the grass and trees in their aviaries are now dormant.

Dan

Yup, avoid onions, bulb garlic, and leeks - all three will kill the quail. Mine like mashed bananas. They also eat tomatoes but they play with them more than they eat them. They like the seeds but not the skin.
-Spooky

Quote:
I can't wait until spring/summer when I have excess fruits and veggies I dont want that are in season to feed to all my birds. Esp when the wild black berries start getting ripe
smile.png

Mine go crazy for tomatoes. They don't care much for peppers though. They love strawberries, blackberries and mulberries.
I've been offering a smorgasbord of home grown strawberries, Black raspberries, wild strawberries, and minced watermelon. Lovin'it. I'm going to start offering some dried moringa leaf powder... as soon as the leaves dry. I have 8 moringa trees seedlings growing inside my home

I accidentally planted a quail food garden! Replaced lawn with flowering native shrubs for the pollinators and after researching have found the seeds all are terrific bird food.
I also found that several berrying shrubs are not safe.
They enjoy artichoke leaves and nasturtium plants and I give them grape stems as well. They did not care for carrots and too many brassicas and onions aren't good. A cucumber was fun and they ate the seeds out of it.

Back
Top Bottom